Sunday, March 11, 2012

Feeling GREEN, inside and out!

Yesterday I ventured through the Al Quoz Industrial area to find V1 Furniture, the local retailer for Bokashi household composting bins. (http://www.bokashidubai.com/) I'm a little embarrassed to admit how excited I am to start composting food waste and contributing to my little garden. After years of living in an apartment on SZR, the prospect of being able to open my windows, let alone grow plants and veggies, is very exciting!

As a pseudo vegetarian (my husband calls me a 'pescatarian' since I eat fish) I prepare loads of meals with fresh produce. There are always stems and rinds and peels left over which I normally and with much guilt, dump into the rubbish bin. Now I can put the refuse into this handy little container that lives innocuously with its air-tight lid underneath my kitchen sink.



 So what does all of this composting news have to do with yoga?  What most folks in the western world consider yoga -doing postures - is only one of the many layers of the four paths of yoga- Bhakti, Jnana, Karma and Raja Yoga.  There are eight limbs of Raja Yoga, one of which is Yama (5 Ethical Values). One of the 5 ethical values of Yama is 'Ahimsa,' which means 'Non-harming in thought, word and deed.' It seems that filling our landfills unnecessarily is indeed harmful not only to the Earth and to us but to our children and to generations to come.  Perhaps tossing my used coffee grounds, tea bags and orange rinds into the Bokashi bin isn't going to save the world, but hopefully it will make it just a teeny tiny bit more beautiful.


On the subject of being green, here is a salad recipe I created a few days ago. I hope you'll like it as much as I do!

Wild Mixed Green Crunchy Salad

2 generous handfuls mixed wild greens (should include rocket, arugula, dandelion leaves, etc.)
1 handful fresh spinach leaves chopped
¼ c. finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1/8 c. finely chopped raw (unsalted) almonds
2 small (or 1 large) cucumber chopped
1 or 2 Tblsp. Sesame oil
1 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
Sea Salt (to taste)
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)

(optional ingredients can include, chopped avocado, sliced tomato, thinly sliced purple onion)

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl, being careful not to bruise the leaves of the greens. Serves 1-4 people, depending on the size of the portions.
The combination of the tastes and textures of this salad is so satisfying! The nuts add a nice bit of protein and the mint is wonderful for the digestive system.

Enjoy!